Thursday, June 2, 2016

Me before you

It has been a long time since I have not entered anything on this blog.  I have been busy vacationing in the Philippines and my son also visited Dubai.  Let me start again with my own review of the movie Me Before You from the novel of the same title by Jojo Moyes.

I have started fulfilling my birthday bucket list "42 @ 42".  To do 42 things until the end of this year for my 42nd birthday in July.  One of the things on the list says - watch movie in a movie theater alone.  Since it was my day off, I booked online, ran to the mall, bought my nachos with salsa and cheese, and sat in cinema 17 of Deira City Center Vox Cinema 20 minutes before the showing.


This movie starts with a businessman who has everything and can do everything even crushing down business deals.  Will Traynor or Will had everything health and wealth when one rainy day he met an accident that left him quadriplegic.  Louisa Clark on the other hand is a bubbly joyful and chatty 26-year-old waitress who lost her job when the cafe she works for closed down.  To her desperation, she took the care giving job for Will, a quadriplegic for two years.  It was also Camilla Traynor's (Will's mother) last ditch effort to prevent Will from committing suicide and from having to undergo euthanasia.  This was unknown to Lou but she overheard a conversation, and researched on Mr. Lawler, a lawyer for euthanasia in Switzerland.  Will and his mother had an agreement for six months hoping that Will will change his mind of having euthanasia.

At first, Will was rude and snob but then with Lou's unconventional fashion (really loud colors) but cute, her bubbly personality, perseverance to impress him and her passion to earn a living for her family, Will gave in to her ideas of going out and doing something even attending Will's ex-girlfriend's wedding to his best friend.  Lou has a running-freak boyfriend who had to give her up because maybe out of jealousy that Lou is going to Mauritius with Will and will have a good time that Patrick (Lou's boyfriend) called a honeymoon.  So, they parted ways and Lou went ahead with their plan  to visit Mauritius.  This is where Louisa finally told Will that she loves him but Will says that he does not want to be selfish not being able to respond to Lou's needs, and still wants to go on with his plan of euthanasia.  After they went back, Lou resigned and Will's parents knew that he will push through with Dignitas, an assisted dying organization in Switzerland.

Lou with the help of her sister, Treena, followed Will to Switzerland.  They both agree that the past six months was the best months of their lives.  Will pursued euthanasia and the movie ended with Lou reading a letter from Will in Paris.  She was also given a large amount of inheritance by Will.  The letter says, “Push yourself. Don't Settle. Just live well. Just LIVE.”  And so, Lou lived!

Some quotes  worth sharing:

“Some mistakes... Just have greater consequences than others. But you don't have to let the result of one mistake be the thing that defines you. You, Clark, have the choice not to let that happen.” 

“I will never, ever regret the things I've done. Because most days, all you have are places in your memory that you can go to.” 

“Push yourself. Don’t settle. Wear those stripy legs with pride. And if you insist on settling down with some ridiculous bloke, make sure some of this is squirreled away somewhere. Knowing you still have possibilities is a luxury. Knowing I might have given them to you has alleviated something for me.” 

“We are all part of some great cycle, some pattern that it was only God's purpose to understand.” 

This is a sad movie but it did not make me cry the way Nicholas Sparks' novels made me cry.  I am not pro euthanasia but if i put myself on Will Traynor's shoes, I don't know...I just don't know.  Sometimes people come into our life to change us but then again, it is still our decision and our own free will on what road to travel.


No comments:

Post a Comment