Friday, November 11, 2016

How to cope up after thyroid cancer?

It has been a year since I was diagnosed, tested and treated for papillary thyroid carcinoma.  Life has never been the same.  Comparing post total thyroidectomy to post total abdominal hysterectomy that I had in 2003, having no thyroid is the worst.  Both may be responsible for hormones in my body but the changes are felt more after my thyroidectomy than when i had my hysterectomy.  Some of the things I regularly feel even with maintenance medication are:

1. Hot flushes - I did not even feel this when I had hysterectomy but now it is part of my regular self.
2. Hair loss continues but remarkably lesser.
3. Dry skin, yes.  I needed to use tons and tons of moisturizers and lotions.
4. Tiredness and feeling uneasy.
5. Mood swings are still there, sometimes worse but sometimes controllable.

You see, those are just few of the changes I am having after my thyroidectomy.  It has been a year and it's never been the same.  BUT I cannot let these symptoms get me down in life.  I have to control them, fight them if I can and even be friends with them.  How do I cope up with these symptoms?   Here's how...

1.  I always remember my reason for living.  My older sister would always tell me, "Our children cannot bury us this soon. You cannot die now!"  I live for my one and only son.  I am a single mother but I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  (Philippians 4:13).  And that is why I kept on living despite the trouble this thyroid problem is giving me.

My son in 2008 with my mother (RIP)


2.  Chocolates.  Who does not adore chocolates?  I love it to bits.  I can live without salt but with chocolates, NO WAY!  Chocolates are known to increase our happy hormones called endorphins.  Whenever I  feel down or stressed, I would just munch a chocolate and I am on my way to happy land.

3.  Community.  I am a member of the Couples for Christ Handmaids of the Lord (CFC-HOLD) community in Dubai, UAE.  They have been my family from the moment I said YES to the Lord.  It is not only a support group, it is a way of life.  If your way of life is to follow Jesus, then how can anything else be not doable.  I have all these beautiful souls to back me up when I need a push, to cry with me when I am down, to divide my sorrows when I fail and to share my joys in times of success.  This my friend is my community, my family that helps me journey with life - through good times and bad times.


Handmaids of the Lord 


4.  Hobbies and Crafts.  To destress, I do a lot of hobbies and crafts.  Origami, jewelry making, clay molding, paper craft, almost crochet (my hands are poor with needles he he he), guitar, scrapbooking, smash booking, etc.  My hobbies and crafts bring me to another world and I forget about the unpleasantness I feel in my body.

Going away paper craft

5.  Journal and prayer.  Nothing beats a daily conversation with God - be it in speaking, writing, dancing or singing.  Having a personal relationship with the Lord assures us that the future is already taken care of despite of what I am feeling in my body.  And that everything is just temporary.




It's been a year.  I call my self a survivor.  Thyroid cancer is loses.  I won together with the rest of the cancer survivors and sufferers...victory until the end.


2 comments: