Friday, November 18, 2016

The Marcos loyalist I love the most

Today, the late president Ferdinand E. Marcos was buried in the Libingan ng mga Bayani (Heroes' cemetery).  This cemetery is a dedicated resting place for military personnel who served the country, national heroes, national artists, national scientists and Philippine presidents.

The Marcoses at the late president FEM's burial

There were different reactions from the Filipinos when one fine Friday news broke that today is the burial of the late president Marcos.  The Marcos loyalists rejoiced.  On the other hand, the anti-Marcos were furious.  Some went to EDSA where the people power revolution happened to kick out the Marcos regime, some in Libingan ng mga Bayani and some in schools - even little children protesting.

The anti-Marcos rally 

I am not writing this to state my side or point.  The burial just made me remember about someone so dear to me who admired the former president Marcos so much that she stated when we went to Ilocos where the body of the president was kept, "Nakita ko na si Marcos, pede na kong mamatay."  True enough, my mother died in December that same year.  

Nanay in the Marcos mansion in Ilocos

My mother is a true blue Marcos loyalist.  When she was younger, she would go to Marcos rallies in different parts of the Philippines, showing her support and love for the president.  Maybe she saw something good in the person that the whole world tagged as the world's greatest thief of all time in the Guinness' book of world record. 

Nanay was like that, she saw something good in everything and in everyone.  She believed in me even when I lost my confidence.  She was the martial law of the family when my father was away to work abroad.  Most of all, she was thief who stole my heart.  She is the Marcos loyalist I love the most.  Rest in Peace Nanay Lucy with your most admired president, President Ferdinand E. Marcos.


2 comments: