Thursday, September 10, 2015

Right hemithyroidectomy

On 24 August 2015, the ENT surgeon saw me and out rightly recommended right hemithyroidectomy which is the removal of the nodule, the right thyroid and the isthmus, leaving only the left thyroid.  He also discussed about watchful waiting wherein we have to wait for the nodule to grow before doing surgery, which he said was not his choice.  I asked him why not do the total thyroidectomy?  He said that it is going to be an over treatment if he does that.  I agreed to the procedure.

On 2 September 2015, I met the anesthetist and did the pre-operative evaluation.  I was also ordered blood tests including antibody screen and blood typing.  I did all the preoperative blood tests the day before my surgery.

6 September 2015, i checked in early at the admission's office of the American Hospital Dubai for my right hemithyroidectomy.  I was again evaluated for the last few things about allergies, dentures, surgical history and what have you.  I was given Dormicum and Zantac and felt a little like drunk or groggy.  Then, I met the anesthesiologist and saw my surgeon.  I was brought to the operating room and was talking to the nurses when i was asked to inhale something by the anesthetist.  After a few seconds, i was knocked down.


With my  more than a friend, more than a family, tita Lydia

Before my operation @room 542

The next thing I knew, i was in the recovery room, they woke me up and asked how the pain was.  I said it was 5/10 and they gave me a shot of pain reliever.  Asked me again, then said 3/10.  I heard that my heartbeat was fast.  Suddenly, all calmed down.  Next thing I knew, they were moving me back to my room.

I was so groggy... I slept the whole day.  It took two hours and a half for my surgery.  It was planned to be an hour only.....

No comments:

Post a Comment