Sunday, September 13, 2015

How to survive hemithyroidectomy - Week One

Today marks the first week of my right hemithyroidectomy.  I have been confined to my room the whole week.  I tried to walk a little further away from the entrance door or our building to the nearest grocery store in the same building but i was lightheaded and felt dizzy, so I went back to my flat immediately fearing that i might fall.  I have now less choking with clear fluids but still have some few incidences of choking.  It is hard when i cough or sneeze.  I still have hoarse voice.  But with all of these, I am optimistic that i am on my way to healing.

my patient ID during the surgery and confinement

How to survive the first week of post hemithyroidectomy:

1.  Relax.  All wounds heal in time.
2.  Take the time to totally rest.  Do not force yourself to do certain activities that can cause dizziness.  This is the first week.  Activity is as tolerated only.
3.  Take pain medications as necessary.  I took only take pain medication at night so i can have a good night sleep.
4.  Spray lavender mist, so you can have a good night's sleep.
5.  Sleep as long as you can to get back your lost energy.
6.  Change position slowly.  One time when i was kneeling while praying, i suddenly stood up but my knees and legs won't let me as if i am paralyzed.  Good thing somebody was at my back to support.  So, i knelt back and slowly stood up while holding on to something.
7.  Eat really nutritious foods for healing especially avocado.  Avocado gives extra energy. 
8.  Adult coloring book.  Colors helped me relax and felt the pain less.
9. Drink lots of water to help heal the hoarseness of voice.
10.  Pray.  As you stay confined, do not stop praying but keep on talking and listening to God.

Onwards to healing!  Tomorrow is my first follow-up checkup.  Claiming for negative biopsy result.

No comments:

Post a Comment