Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Completion thyroidectomy: Postoperative day three

I'm on day three post completion thyroidectomy.  This is my second surgery in less than a month. The first one was right hemithyroidectomy that confirmed papillary thyroid carcinoma.  So, i have to get another surgery for completion thyroidectomy.  Comparing the two surgeries, the last one was far better than the first except for the numbness due to calcium depletion.  

Comparing the two surgeries postoperatively:

Right hemithyroidectomy                                                  

1.  Too groggy after the procedure.                                   
2.  I was able to urinate soon after.                                    
3.  My throat was too sore.                                                 
4.  I had choking with fluids.                                              
5.  I had to stay on bed for a long time.                             
6.  Lightheaded for two weeks.                                        

Completion thyroidectomy:

1.  Felt like had a few drinks - tipsy.
2.  I was able to urinate soon after.
3.  Sore throat but not much of pain.
4.  Able to eat soonest without choking.
5.  I'm up on day three coloring, etc.
6.  I'm on day three and not lightheaded.                                                                                      
7. Numbness and muscle twitching (due to                                                                                            
calcium depletion) have to deal with these                                                                                               lifelong with calcium and vitamin D tablets.

All in all, I thank God for the healing.  I am currently recuperating and hopefully be back on my feet stronger and healthier in preparation for my radioactive iodine treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment