Wednesday, October 14, 2015

How to combat memory gap

I've had several general anesthesias in my life.  Twice when I gave birth via cesarean section and hysterectomy after that.  Then twice again recently just few weeks apart.  I have noticed deterioration in my memory.  There are times that in few seconds I cannot remember what i want to say.  Sometimes, i would like to do something but when I reached the area, i forgot what i was supposed to do.  This condition (after surgery) including some other conditions like easily gets tired, inability to concentrate or reduced arithmetic ability is called postoperative cognitive dysfunction.  There are a lot of reasons and studies why this happens after surgery.  Few of them as listed below.

1.  Residual effects of anesthetics, sedatives or pain killers.
2.  Metabolic effects of surgery.
3.  Pre-existing mental dysfunction.
4.  Posttraumatic stress disorder.

But the list and studies go on.  So, what do I do to combat my memory dysfunction?

During my recuperation, I have been coloring.  Yes!  Adult coloring book.  

Adult coloring book is the latest anti-stress reliever of adults (obviously) he he he.  It is very therapeutic that even doctors prescribe it to their patients.  The colors help in mindfulness, meaning getting more attentive and living in the moment and awakening experience.  Personally, it helps me release my anxieties especially knowing my diagnosis and it also rests my mind.  There are other things that can help combat memory gap.  

Check out my adult coloring book, The Animal Kingdom by Millie Marotta.  Lhie's adult coloring book 




No comments:

Post a Comment