Saturday, October 10, 2015

Finding my calcium

It's almost a week after my completion thyroidectomy.  One of the many complications of having a total thyroidectomy is low calcium level in the blood.  This happens when the parathyroids have been removed or injured.  The parathyroid glands control the calcium level in our body.  With total thyroidectomy, parathyroids are removed.  

After my completion thyroidectomy, the same night after the operation, I felt numb and the muscles in my thighs and eyes were twitching continuously.  I called the nurse and she informed the doctor.  A little later, the nurse checked my calcium level and it was low.  I was given two 600 mg calcium carbonate tablets.  Then, the next morning, my calcium was checked and it was back to normal.  The  numbness and twitching was also gone.

Where do I get my calcium then?

Calcium supplement
600 mg tablet once a day with vitamin D





                                                   Milk and cereals





No comments:

Post a Comment